Friday, April 9, 2010

sipping along.

this is my sip. senior integration project.


This installment in particular comes from a deep questioning of personal image and identity. While I was woven in my mother womb by God and essentially created by Him, I was also created in his image. Created in the image of a creator making me creative also. On the topic of personal image I have found that my faith pulls me towards being a “non thought out” or “undressed” version of myself, being true to the image and identity that God created for me.



On the other hand my involvement and love for the arts gives me a desire to create, or to “decorate” if you will. My Senior Integration Project struggles with the idea of to be “dressed” and “undressed” while dealing with the my love to dress. Body/mind/personality. What does our personal image say to others? What are we actively saying with our image? Is it good or bad to be aware of this? Is there such a thing as overly aware?What about creating is reflecting our creator and hat part is making something false because we don't just leave ourselves as is?


While working on this project I had a lot of time alone with my thoughts. I began to realize I don't care what this looks like. Its not important to me. The significance of my work is the message. I new my message six months ago, and I have been thinking of this project for a couple of years now. The process and execution have been unknown until I was knee deep in it. While working through the “how” I began to realize how important the “why” is to me.

My identity and my image are something I struggle through, not that I wonder who I am, rather that I wonder if its right. The message of this piece has to do with me working through that struggle of constructed versus raw self image and identity. The message of my life I simply want to be love. Love in all forms, from all places, to all things.


The process of both my work and my life are still to come.

As I work through my message, the “why”, I figure out the process, the “how”.

1 comment: